Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm a WHOLE WHEAT donut!

Yesterday, I went to the "Go Play! Get Fit! Youth Day" at Tidelands Park, Coronado.

It was so much fun!






















I helped the Network for a Healthy California with their station! We had the 'Carrot Hop,' 'Lettuce Dribble,' 'Tater Tot' and 'Cucumber Javelin.'


As Mike, Larissa, and I were setting up the games, I noticed a group wearing these brownish donut floaty things. At this "Donut" Station, the participants wore the donuts and had a relay race! The kids were having a blast! They would run and some would topple over! They had huge smiles on their faces...me too as I watched them.



On the topic about "donuts," I found it a bit amusing that "donuts" were at a health event. Don't get me wrong... I like to eat my sugar donuts once in a blue moon...so maybe these "donuts" were made with ingredients of 100% whole wheat flour, no high fructose corn syrup and no preservatives!

Here is the link to Go Play! Get Fit! event...
http://www.goplaygetfit.com/

In 2004, the Greater San Diego Recreation and Park Coalition for Health and Wellness was formed with the mission to create healthy communities by advocating Greater San Diego Area Recreation and Parks Agencies as a first choice for health and wellness activities. Go Play! Get Fit! Youth Day was developed to highlight that mission and educate area youth. In 2005, the Cities of Carlsbad, Encinitas, Escondido, and Vista participated in the first annual event serving almost 250 youth. The following year saw a dramatic increase in participation expanding to 10 agencies and over 750 youth. The huge potential for growth and reaching out to even more youth in San Diego County led organizers to choose Balboa Park as the venue in 2007. It included 14 agencies and over 1100 youth. Activities included a variety of physical challenges, exposure to lifelong activities, educational resources and much more.

No comments: