Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"We Grow it Fresh, You Buy it Fresh"

At City Heights Farmer's Market, this is a place to get your fresh local produce! Open every Saturday from 9:00am to 1:00pm on Fairmount Ave, between 43rd and Wightman, you can find peaches, nectarines, zucchini, tomatoes and so much more! When I was there, there between 10-15 vendors, a drum circle, a bouncy house and a dance performance.



As I was walking around the market, in the corner of my eye I saw a huge avocado. The Reed avocado can weigh in between 8 to 18 ounces. It was quite large, almost the size of my hand. The shape is more round unlike the familiar pear-shaped variety of avocados! It would make a pretty cool present for someone who loves avocados and it would only cost you $2!
For more information about Avocados, go to http://www.avocado.org/

After being distracted by the size of the Reed avocado, I went to the Nutrition Link booth (where I needed to be at). We played trivia games where the contestants had to guess the fruit or vegetable based on the clues. If they answered 2 out of 3 questions correctly, the prize was a hat or an apron. Or they could win a prize by spinning the wheel!

No comments: