Monday, April 20, 2009

ODE to the Tomato

Green, yellow and red tomatoes!
Shiny leathery skin.
Why don't little kids like me?
I'm in spaghetti!
Okay, spaghetti sauce.
I'm in ketchup!
And, there's a but!
There's added sugar to make me sweet!
But, I'm already sweet.
Did you know I'm also a "cherry" tomato?
And I'm also a "grape" tomato!

There are many different types of tomatoes.
I can be a small tomato.
I can also be a big tomato.
And I even rhyme with potato.
I'm juicy on the inside and have seeds.
I have Vitamin C!
I have Vitamin A!
I like to confuse you!
I'm am a fruit!
I do have seeds!

Put me in your sandwich.
Put me in your soup.
Slice me!
And dice me!
Cook me in a stew.
Cook me in the barbeque.

I hope you plant me!
I hope you grow me!
But please protect me too!
The horn worm likes to eat me!
Green, yellow and red tomatoes!


Fin






No comments: